Friday, January 27, 2012

The M Saga Continued

My last two Reading Partners sessions with M have been so normal that I've stopped wearing my bulletproof vest. It's clear that she is smart but just easily distracted. My approach was to be as consistent and patient as possible, and it seems to be working.

If you're curious as to what happened with Victor, a fight did go down, both of them were sent home, but THEN! Then they became best friends. "I love Victor" was the last thing she said on the subject. Oh, the ups and downs of second grade. It's like elementary school Melrose Place.

Yesterday we reviewed some commonly used words: LIKE, SAID, YOU, GET, and WITH. I had her use each in a sentence, and this is what she came up with:


She didn't let me see the sentences until she was finished but occasionally asked for help spelling the more difficult words. So when I saw what she wrote I was blown away and, um, flattered? I can't wait to see what kind of dog I get.

And the hearts were a nice touch. We've gone from drawing dead people to hearts in a matter of weeks. So either we're making progress or she's bipolar.

All kidding aside, this was the first time where I actually felt like I was "making a difference." And it felt good. She was so PROUD of what she had written that it radiated from her. If I can make a kid feel like that, then I've done something worth while. I'm looking forward to next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment