Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Climbing the Family Tree

I began to research my Jewish heritage almost immediately after the challenge was issued. I couldn't wait to find out a little more about where I come from and maybe even discover a long lost relative living near me. Or find out that I am actually a princess in some far-off land.

Through censuses, ship logs, the social security index and a few other easily accessible resources, I have uncovered some of the basics -- birth and death dates, addresses, marriages, occupations, etc.

My great grandfather (my father's mother's father, born 1868) was a photographer. He had an art studio in Pennsylvania (and later in England) beginning in 1894. The family traveled a lot between England, New York and South Africa. I knew that photography was in by blood somehow. My father still has his German lens made in 1880.
 
Below is a picture of my great grandmother (b. 1893 in Romania) -- her husband would be the above photographer -- and her father, my great great grandfather. His hat and beard are absolutely amazing.





Lots of gems like this to uncover over the course of the next year, but I could never have gotten this far in my genealogy challenge without the help of the magnificent Kyle Williams, a true ancestry artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment