Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Whole Nine Yards

As the first part of challenge no. 28 is learning to sew, my needle-and-thread escapades continue, this time with homemade floor-to-ceiling curtains for our new bedroom.

I ordered the fabric (nine yards of it) online for $11 a yard, which I got all giggly about because I saw the exact same fabric at Mood Fabrics in NYC for more than double that price.

Curtains are insanely simple to sew. The challenge with these was just keeping the hem consistent for fourteen feet. But I pulled it off with the help of some hem tape, an iron, and my trusty Brother sewing machine.

The pictures don't do them justice. They are dramatic and soften the room, giving it an elegant, hotel-like feel. I'm pretty much in love with them.





Thank you to Austin, who channeled his inner rock climbing handyman to install these 14-foot decorative beasts.




No comments:

Post a Comment