Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Making Blackberry Wine: Part 2, Featuring Science!

I have (successfully, I hope) completed step two in making blackberry wine (challenge no. 9). This is the fun step, when the fermenting begins.

When we last left off, I had combined my crushed berries, simple syrup and yeast in a bucket and let it sit for seven days.

Last night I strained that mixture through some cheesecloth into my carboy (a gallon glass jug) using a funnel. Then I added some more simple syrup (I dissolved 1 3/4 cups of sugar in 2 cups of boiling water and then LET IT COOL before adding it to the jug). Lastly, I attached the airlock to the top of the jug. It looked something like this:



 And THEN this started happening:




It is the carbon dioxide being sucked out that is creating the bubbling effect. 

Things will stay just like this for ten days. I'm crossing my fingers that everything goes smoothly and that I have some delicious blackberry wine by next Thursday night. 



No comments:

Post a Comment