Thursday, February 9, 2012

M Update + Very Special Recipe

My tutoring sessions with M (re: challenge no. 21) have been going extremely well. This girl is SMART. When she focuses. And she's been focusing on a consistent basis. This success may have something to do with the fact that she is in love with me. The violence I witnessed towards Victor (read up on that here) has given way to an incredibly sweet personality. And the best part is, now she listens to me. I no longer have to chase her around the room, which means we are moving through lessons at record speed. Aside from the rocky start (in which I was afraid for my life) this is how I imagined tutoring to be. I'm starting to think that "making a difference in a child's life" is possible.

Here is a note that she wrote to me at the end of our session today:
"Dear Noel, I like you being my reading partner all day today and you lief I be sad all day."
Translation: "Dear Noel, I liked you being my reading partner all day today, and when you leave I'll be sad all day."
Okay, so she's not the best at spelling and grammar, but we're working on that! The point to take away here is that I am pretty much the best tutor ever.

And so I leave you with this gem, a recipe for "Chicken Drink with Bones" that M was kind enough to share with me:
Ingredients:
  • Chicken
  • Rice
  • Carrots
  • Mayo
  • Ketchup
  • Mustard
  • Collard greens
  • Milk

Directions: 
      "Mix it up and drink it. It has bones in it."




No comments:

Post a Comment