Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Eggplant Sandwich

One of my challenges is to bring my lunch two out of five work days per week, and so far I've been keeping it simple with salads and soups that I've made many times before. But today I tried out a new recipe. The eggplant sandwich.

Yes, it's raw and vegan, so go ahead and get your eye-rolling out of the way. But look! It's pretty!




The flavor is great, but mine was a little hard to eat. I attribute this to not getting the eggplant crispy enough. The recipe comes from an iPhone app called Do Eat Raw.

Ingredients:
  • 1 eggplant, sliced into circles
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 shallot, sliced
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • Grated carrot
  • Alfalfa sprouts
  • Sea salt
  • Black pepper
  • Garlic powder

Directions:

Place the eggplant slices on a dehydrator tray and dehydrate for 8-9 hours at 105 degrees. You could also just use your oven but I'm not sure of the time and temperature. You just want to get the eggplant crispy and easy to bite into. The less done they are, the chewier they'll be.

Take the avocado, cut into two pieces, scoop out the pulp and spread on the eggplant slices.

Put on some sliced shallot, tomato, carrot, alfalfa sprouts, and sprinkle some garlic powder, salt and pepper. Lay another eggplant slice on top and you've got yourself a sandwich. 

No comments:

Post a Comment