Monday, November 12, 2012

Tea Ceremony Complete

I have officially performed a traditional Japanese tea ceremony for four guests (five if you count Dagmar), pleasantly knocking challenge no. 17 off the list. Since I didn't have access to a tea room, I held the ceremony in my apartment. It wasn't ideal (neither was the fact that Austin insisted on having his katana present), but the important thing was that my guest of honor (called Shokyaku), the issuer of the challenge, witnessed my knowledge of the many steps and rituals involved in Chanoyu.


Wagashi (sweets) served prior to the ceremony (Macchamochi & Kasutera). I purchased these from Minamoto Kitchoan in midtown.


Austin and Kaleigh bringing my ceremony to a borderline offensive level.


My "floral" arrangement + scroll, which each guest must view/bow to before taking their seat for the ceremony.


Utensil placement from my point-of-view.


Cold water container, tea bowl, tea scoop, whisk, and tea container.


Guest of honor taking the first sip.




No comments:

Post a Comment